Instant Pot Beef Lo Mein
Instant Pot Beef Lo Mein
I mean, with how much I love Chinese food, are you surprised I’m making Lo Mein? 😜 This is the spaghetti of the Chinese-American cuisine and chances are if you head out to your favorite Chinese joint, someone in your party’s gonna order it! It’s crazy easy to make in the Instant Pot and the flavor really comes together so magically. I decided to use Beef for my protein but you have the power to use any meat or seafood you’d like OR just make it vegetarian!
- 1 16oz package of Pancit Canton Flour Stick Noodles (I STRONGLY recommend you use these or something very similar as they are the most Lo Mein-like consistency and you can buy in many Asian markets or in the link. If you totally can’t find these, any other Asian noodle will do – or even spaghetti if you can’t find anything else)
- 1 lb of flank steak, cut against the grain and into bit sized pieces
- 1 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp of sesame oil (plus more for drizzling over the noodles)
- 1 bunch of scallions, chopped largely
- 1 tbsp of crushed garlic
- ½ tbsp of minced ginger
- ¼ cup of beef broth (1/4 tsp of Beef Better Than Bouillon + ¼ cup of water)
- 1 tbsp of Shaoxing wine (or Chinese rice wine)
- 3 tbsp of low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp of red chile paste (this isn’t spicy)
- 8oz of sliced mushrooms (I used shiitake, but you can use any kind really)
- A generous handful of snow peas
- 1 14oz bag of coleslaw mix (no mayo – just the shredded cabbage and carrots)
- 2 tbsp of pad thai sauce
- 2 tbsp of hoison sauce
The beautiful thing about Lo Mein is you can use ANY kind of protein and vegetable you want so if you’d rather use chicken, use chicken! If you want other veggies like broccoli or water chestnuts, add them as well!
- Add the vegetable and sesame oil to the Instant Pot then hit “Sauté” and “Adjust” so it’s on the “More” setting. Once the display reads “Hot” add the flank steak and stir for about 2 minutes until it’s browned on all sides. Add the garlic and ginger and stir for another minute. 2. Add in the beef broth, Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, oyster sauce, red chile paste, scallions, mushrooms, snow peas and coleslaw mix. Stir up very well.
- Secure the lid and hit “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” High Pressure for 4 minutes. When done, perform a quick release.
- While our Instant Pot is cooking, take a large pot of water and bring to a boil on your stove. Add the pancit canton noodles (probably in 2 batches as it’s a lot of noodles) and cook FOR ONE MINUTE ONLY! These are very delicate noodles and cook super quick so that is why I don’t think they should go in the pot while cooking the meat, veggies and sauce! When done, strain.
- Remove the lid from the Instant Pot and then add the noodles and then drizzle some additional sesame oil. Mix the noodles well with the meat, veggies and sauce in the pot and then transfer to a large serving bowl
- Once in the serving bowl, add in the pad thai sauce and hoison sauce and toss and then serve!